Establishment of the Committee
The Sectoral Committee on Health Services was established on Thursday 5th October, 2017, pursuant to the provisions of the Standing Order 203(1).
Functions of the Committee
Pursuant to the Provisions of the Standing Order 203 (6), the functions of the Committee are to-
- Investigate, inquire into, and report on all matters relating to the mandate, management, activities, administration, operations and estimates of the department;
- Study the programme and policy objectives of the department and the effectiveness of the implementation;
- Study and review all county legislation referred to it;
- Study, assess and analyze the relative success of the department as measured by the results obtained as compared with their stated objectives;
- Investigate and inquire into all matters relating to the department as they may deem necessary, and as may be referred to them by the County Assembly;
- To vet and report on all appointments where the Constitution or any law requires the County Assembly to approve, except those under Standing Order 196 (Committee on Appointments); and
- Make reports and recommendations to the County Assembly as often as possible, including recommendation of proposed legislation.
Subject Area of the Committee
The Third Schedule to the County Assembly Standing Orders provides that the Committee is to consider all matters related to county health services, including, in particular county health facilities and pharmacies, ambulance services, promotion of primary health care, licensing and control of undertakings that sell food to the public, veterinary services (excluding regulation of the profession), cemeteries, funeral parlours and crematoria.