Establishment of the Committee
The Sectoral Committee on Culture and Community Services was established on Wednesday 26th October, 2022 pursuant to the provisions of the Standing Order 209 (1).
Functions of the Committee
Pursuant to the Provisions of the Standing Order 209 (6), the functions of the Committee are to-
- Investigate, inquire into, and report on all matters relating to the mandate, management, activities, administration, operations and estimates of the department;
- Study the programme and policy objectives of the department and the effectiveness of the implementation;
- Study and review all county legislation referred to it;
- Study, assess and analyze the relative success of the department as measured by the results obtained as compared with their stated objectives;
- Investigate and inquire into all matters relating to the department as they may deem necessary, and as may be referred to them by the county assembly;
- To vet and report on all appointments where the constitution or any law requires the county assembly to approve, except those under standing order 196 (committee on appointments); and
- Make reports and recommendations to the county assembly as often as possible, including recommendation of proposed legislation.
Subject Area of the Committee
The Third Schedule to the County Assembly Standing Orders provides that the Committee is to consider all matters related to Cultural activities, public entertainment and public amenities, including, racing, liquor licensing, cinemas, video shows and hiring, libraries, museums and cultural activities and facilities and county parks, and recreation facilities; fire fighting services and disaster management, control of pornography; sports activities and facilities and ensuring and coordinating the participation of communities and locations in governance at the local level and assisting communities and locations to develop the administrative capacity for the effective exercise of the functions and powers and participation in governance at the local level.
- Mr. Titus Muiruri – Senior Clerk Assistant
- Ms. Jolinda Wangui – First Clerk Assistant
The Committee is conducting a fact finding visits on the status of various Social Halls in the County.
a) The physical status of the social halls;
b) Whether the social Halls are disability friendly