Establishment of the Committee
The Select Committee on Wards Development Fund was established on Thursday 27th October, 2022, pursuant to the provisions of Section 35(1) of the Nairobi City County Wards Development Fund, 2014.
Functions of the Committee
Pursuant to the Provisions of Section 35(5) of the Nairobi City County Wards Development Fund, 2014, the functions of the Committee are to-
- Consider and recommend to the County Assembly any matter requiring action by the County Assembly pursuant to the provisions of this Act;
- Oversee the implementation of this Act and in this respect, shall after every two years submit a report to the County Assembly and where necessary propose any amendments to this Act, in particular with respect to the Quantum of funds repayable into the Fund in accordance with section 4 of the Act;
- Oversee the policy framework and legislative matters that may arise in relation to the Fund;
- Continually review the framework set out for the efficient delivery of development programmes financed through the Fund; and
- Consider and report to County Assembly with recommendations, names of persons required to be approved by County Assembly under this Act.
In the execution of its functions, the Committee is assisted by a Clerk Assistant who is a non-partisan officer, i.e serves all members of the Committee and representatives of all parties equally.
The Clerk Assistant performs his or her duties and responsibilities under the direction of the Committee and its Chair and guided by the relevant Laws. As an expert in parliamentary procedures, practices and Rules of the Assembly (Standing Orders), the Clerk Assistant may be requested to give advice to the Chair and members of the Committee should a question of procedure arise. The Clerk Assistant is the coordinator, organizer and liaison officer for the Committee and as such will be in frequent contact with members. He or she is also responsible to invite witnesses and to deal with all the details regarding their appearance before the Committee.
The Clerk Assistant provides a wide range of specialized administrative services for the Committee, in particular, the organization of Committee meetings and the publishing of documents on the Committees’ website.
The Clerk Assistant provides authoritative, substantive, and timely research, analysis and information to all members of the Committee. He or she is the Committee’s institutional memory and is unique resource for Members.
The Clerk Assistant provides briefing notes on the subjects being examined; detailed study plans; lists of proposed witnesses; analyses of an issue with a list of suggested questions; background papers; draft reports; news releases; and/or formal correspondences.
The Clerk Assistant assist Members in preparation of legislative proposals or amendments to Bills. At various stages of the legislative process, Members may propose amendments to bills. Amendments may first be proposed at the Committee Stage, during a Committee’s clause-by-clause review of a Bill. Amendments may also be proposed at the Report Stage, once a Bill returns to the Assembly.